On 12th April, the Club held its 2016 AGM in Bradwall Hall. Changes to the Constitution had previously been circulated to Members for consideration. Unanimous approval of the changes was given by the Members and the new Constitution was adopted.
Members were asked to approve nominations for Club Officers for 2016 -2017 as follows: Following the resignation of the Vice President prior to the AGM, it was proposed and accepted that Howard Yates remain in the post of President for a further year with David Slack being appointed Vice President. Brian Chamberlain was appointed Secretary whilst Max Higgs retained his position as Treasurer. Tony Harrison continues as Speaker Secretary as do David Carr as Social Secretary and Bob Mynett as Almoner. Graham Hannen (Travel) and Chris Furness (Bowls) remain as additional Committee Members.
On 20th April, Club Members and their guests left Sandbach for Stockport on the Club’s first Travel Tour for 2016. Our first port of call was the excellent multi-million pound Frederic Robinson Brewery Visitor Centre.
On arrival at the brewery we were welcomed by our guides and the history of the Brewery, which dates back to 1838 was explained. On 29 th of September in that year, William Robinson bought the Unicorn Inn, a small public house in the town where, together with his son George, brewed the first Robinsons ale in 1849.
In 1859, Frederic Robinson took over from George and began producing ale for public houses in Stockport. Today on the same site, beer is produced for over 300 public houses in the North West of England and North Wales.
A fully guided tour followed with the brewing process explained in detail, including how water from some 600 feet below ground is used in the production of the various beers produced and sold by the company. Following the brewery tour, an excellent lunch was provided to our Probus Club members and friends in the Conference Suite with samples of various ales provided by the brewery.
On leaving the brewery, we traveled the short distance to the National Hat Works Museum in Wellington Mill where a highly professional guide informed us that The “hatting” industry in Stockport in the 19 th and 20 th centuries was of immense importance to the town. During the tour, our guide gave an insight into the processes involved in producing the various hats.
In the gallery area some 400 hats from around the world are on display including the Duke of Wellington’s bicorn hat which dates from 1857. A “thoroughly enjoyable day” was the comment made by many who joined us on this tour.
Tours organized by the Probus Club of Sandbach Travel are open, subject to availability, to anyone wishing to join us, for more information please contact Graham Hannen, Group Travel Organiser, on 01270 764777 or see our website at www.probus-sandbach.org.uk